Applications for Pre-Registration Optometrists are still open. To apply for a placement commencing in 2018 please apply below.
Working at Scrivens Opticians
As a family-run company, we strive to provide customers with the support, care and friendly service they expect. That’s why we look for pre-registration optometrists to help us deliver quality eyecare with the support of our highly trained staff.
During your pre-reg year at Scrivens Opticians you will learn to work as part of a branch team and understand the day-to-day workings of a branch environment. We aim to challenge your skills and knowledge whilst providing you with an enjoyable and fulfilling year.
Following your pre-reg year you will progress as a fully qualified Optometrist. Training and support will be provided throughout your time at Scrivens Opticians to help you deliver the very best eye care to all our customers.
Supportive Branch Team
We pride ourselves on our supportive working environments and when you join Scrivens Opticians you will become part of our experienced branch teams, who will provide you with the relevant guidance to help you best support our customers.
You can also get involved in the various branch activities, including events and fundraising that we run throughout the year.
Support Throughout Your Pre-Reg Year
During your pre-registration year, we will provide continued training and support as you learn to:
- Examine the eyes of patients of all ages to detect signs of injury, disease, abnormality or vision defects
- Recognise signs and symptoms of general health conditions (e.g. diabetes)
- Offer advice and reassurance on vision-related matters to our customers
- Write referral communications to doctors
- Liaise with your branch team to provide the best eye care experience to our customers
As a healthcare professional, you will develop your skills to enable you to:
- Provide a high standard of service and build a strong relationship with customers
- Develop good communication skills
- Learn to work as part of a team to deliver the right solutions to meet our customers’ individual needs
- Learn to offer the best form of correction to our customers from our extensive range of lenses
- We will provide you with your own consulting room and access to a full range of equipment
- You will have access to a full program of courses and tutorials to cover all aspects of the OSCEs including a mock exam
- We will provide a full induction program including dispensing training and a visit to our own manufacturing lab
- You will be placed with one of our experienced Branch Managers and their team, who receive regular training to best support your needs
- You will have the benefit of working for a national company with training and recruitment opportunities across the country
- There are opportunities to work with both private and NHS customers
- We offer a busy and varied structure which normally involves spending three days a week in the branch examining eyes and dispensing and one day supervised contact lens fitting
- We have strong links with Hospital Eye Clinics in the local community and will organise your hospital placement, providing you with valuable experience
- Travel and accommodation costs for courses will be covered
- All fees including GOC membership fees are covered by Scrivens Opticians (subject to a Training Agreement)
- We provide support from our designated Head Office Team along with your regional office
- We offer great benefits once you qualify with a secure future in a successful business
- Invitations to Peer reviews and CET event days