Christmas tips for those with hearing loss
Post on 11th December 2019
There’s a real buzz about Christmas as we catch up with family and friends, enjoy festive food, gift giving and socialising in the season of goodwill.
The festivities can be something of a challenge for those with hearing loss however, so here our top five some tips to help you make the most of this special time of year.
1. Don’t suffer in silence, please use your hearing aids if you have them as they do make a big difference
2. When out socialising, seek out a quieter area away from the music, kitchen clatter and the noisier revellers – so you can hear conversations and join in
3. At dinner or party gatherings, make your host aware of your needs; they’ll want you to enjoy yourself too, so that could influence where they seat you and how loud the music is turned up
4. Having someone by your side who can repeat something you may have missed will give you greater confidence, whether a partner, relative or friend – so ask for their help
5. Look for good lighting where you can see people’s faces and gestures, as this will help you follow what they are saying
There are 11 million people with hearing loss across the UK, that’s around one in six of us, so it’s more common than you may think.
If you have concerns about your hearing now is the time to act, please call in at your nearest Scrivens branch, where you’ll find friendly and professional advice.
This Christmas, think about giving yourself the gift of hearing.
To find your nearest branch enter your postcode below