Show the love for your lenses
Post on 22nd March 2019
Millions of people have opened their eyes to the benefits and freedom of using contact lenses and it’s easy to see why, for they are a great way to correct your vision.
But research has shown that not all contact lens wearers know how to look after their lenses properly and don’t get round to having a contact lens check-up at least once a year at their opticians.
Love Your Lenses Week 2019 from 23 to 30 March hopes to put that right by encouraging people to treat their lenses with the love and respect they deserve. The campaign by the General Optical Council, supported by opticians, will focus on the aftercare required to keep eyes healthy.
You can love your lenses by having regular check-ups, always washing and drying your hands before handling your lenses and always rubbing, rinsing and storing your lenses in the recommended solution before and after each use (except single-use lenses, which should be discarded after each wear).
Other tips to keep sight of
- Always clean the lens case with solution, wipe with a clean tissue then air-dry after each use by placing the case and lids face down on a tissue
- Always apply the same lens first to avoid mixing them up
- Check the lens is not damaged before applying
- Replace your lens case at least monthly
- Discard lenses and solutions that are past their expiry date
- Wear only the lenses specified by your contact lens practitioner
- Stick strictly to the recommended wearing schedule and replacement frequency
You’ll find more great tips at www.loveyourlenses.com
Staff at your local Scrivens branch will be happy to provide advice and book an appointment for a check-up if required. Your optician will check that your contact lenses are fitting correctly and that your vision is good, and advise on how to care for your lenses to make sure your eyes stay healthy.